Strange bridge in a Steinway

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:37:00 EDT

<<  the end of teh long bridge is
suspended, resting on small "feet" that seem to be  positioned over the
ribs.
I have attacged two picture of it.
Now, why would this arrangemt be used and why only for the last part of the
bridge? >>

     This arrangement is normal with Steinways. The reasoning is(I have been
told), that the acoustical connection between the bridge and board is
primarily through the ribs, (sound travels much faster and more efficiently along the
grain than across it), perhaps why there are dowels from rib to bridge at
every crossing.  The cut-out sections supposedly allow greater flexibility of the
board in the region where lower frequencies are produced while the contact
between bridge and ribs is maintained by the doweled sections.
   In pursuit of a soundboard rattle, I once drove small wedges between these
"feet" in the lower section of a bridge.  It didn't cure the rattle, but the
owner noticed a loss of tone above the bass break.  I removed them and the
tone was restored.  So,  the gap does SOMETHING.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">