string settling

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:12:13 -0500

>Ron, again, the problem is that string stretch too slowly, not the
>opposite !

There are other reasons for new pianos going out of tune quickly than
strings stretching. More than a few of them have been listed in recent
posts. That being the case, I see no reason for you to continue to assume
(much less insist) that string stretching is the primary reason new pianos
go out of tune quickly. Consequently, I see no rationale to the resulting
conclusion that pre-stressing strings will prevent new pianos from going
out of tune quickly.

So unless you can come up with some compelling rational logic or evidence
to the effect that the problem is, indeed, that the strings stretch too
slowly (let alone, the opposite, which makes no sense whatsoever to me in
this context) merely restating your assumptions as fact is not adequate
evidence of the validity of your assumptions and assertions, at least in my
opinion.

If you think it will help, stretch the strings all you like.

Ron N