string settling

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:59:16 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> > Issac states :

> >Ron, again, the problem is that string stretch too slowly, not the
> >opposite !
>

> There are other reasons for new pianos going out of tune quickly than
> strings stretching. More than a few of them have been listed in recent
> posts. That being the case, I see no reason for you to continue to assume
> (much less insist) that string stretching is the primary reason new pianos
> go out of tune quickly. Consequently, I see no rationale to the resulting
> conclusion that pre-stressing strings will prevent new pianos from going
> out of tune quickly.

I have to aggree by and large with Ron here. That being said, I suppose that
strings stretching and settling is at least one of the things that make a new
instrument a bit more unstable then an instrument thats done a few rounds at
the Met. Thats a supposition mind you, and I have to hold a relatively large
wad of uncertainty in my back left pocket as to the validity of the whole
string stretching arguementation.... despite the fact that it makes intuitive
sense to me.

I try and help the strings along when restringing, thats for sure... lightly
stretching them, and seating (again lightly) around the contact points with
bridge / pins / capo / etc. But I dont make to much of it. They end up being
stable enough soon enough.

One thing to think about.... say for example you could insure somehow perfectly
stable and totally stretched and settled strings on a new piano.... then what
happens when all the other elements of the instrument stretch, contort,
compress, and reshape themselves to meet the stress plane these stable strings
provide ??.. Yo.... the strings will have to react :)

Cheers !

,.. and Thanks for the interesting thread.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.