Intermittent ZINGing Chopin on M&H 1923 model AA

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:54:26 EDT

<<  Sure enough, no amount of my playing around with this or adjacent notes

> > caused the problem, but I did hear it when she played the Chopin.  Very

> > short ZINGing sound as if a small screwdriver momentarily touched the

> > string.  Damper felt looks normal.   Damper adjustment seems right.  I

> could

> > see nothing out the the ordinary, at least to my eyes.  I removed the

> action

> > and checked the damper wire screw for this note, it was tight.  I did,

> > however, notice that by manually lifting and dropping each damper lever,

> the

> > one for G#6 caused a more metallic  sound when dropped than did its

> > neighbors.  Could not figure out why.  Need to be able to fix this noise

> > upon returning next month. >>

Swap the damper with the one next to it and see if the zing moves or stays on
the same note.  This will remove a large number of potential dead-ends and
maybe save some time on the investigation.
Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">