Intermittent ZINGing Chopin on M&H 1923 model AA

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:39:32 -0500

The first thing I'd want to be certain of is this:

Does the zing
Come from the string,
Or any thing,
In the key that’s pressed
When the owner is blessed
To hear that awful, cursed ring?

In less poetic(?) terms: I would not automatically assume that G#6 is
the source of the noise even though it is the key that generates it.

Huh?

I had a Wurly console with a zing thing that drove me buggy. I think it
was on A4. Turned out to be the lid lock mechanism. No other note would
make it buzz.

Had a Baldwin grand where D#6 (if memory serves) made a distinctly
annoying little sound. Turned out to be the small lid prop bzzzzing
against the large lid prop. Missing piece of felt.

Had a 1963 Lowrey Console (Oog) with a little zing ring at D5. Turned
out to be one string not damping well on G3--it was just really
responsive to that particular overtone.

Had a zing that was very loud and pronounced on some note or other in an
old upright. Turned out to be coming from a small object d'art
(figurine) sitting on a glass end table five feet away.

Hide and go seek. Bon Chance!

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO