Killer Octave Occurrence in New Pianos

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:29:33 EDT

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I have a question for techs that work on new pianos: What is the incidence
> of an identifiable Killer Octave area on a new piano? Let's say the threshold
> for its existence will be with voicing efforts - when you need to "voice the
> piano down" to blend the weak area (the Killer Octave) into the rest of the
> keyboard. Feel free to identify fallboard names (or not).
>
> And yes, I have an ulterior motive - it has to do with a past technical
> presentation at a PTG chapter meeting.

Terry,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond to this.  I've been on 3 year-old
boy-overload lately!  I'm not sure if my information will help at all, because it
really hasn't much to do with voicing.  The problems I have in the killer octave
in new pianos are related to tuning stability rather than tone(give them a
couple of years, and the tonal weakness becomes more evident).

Whether or not I do a pitch adjustment on a new piano(primarily of Asian
origin, write me back offline and if you really want names), I ALWAYS go through
that section twice. As per an e-mail exchange not long ago with Ron N., I have
watched one spike/string in the tunelab graph drop radically as I pull a
neigboring string up to pitch.  While this instability is evident throughout most
of the piano, it is markedly greater in the KO section.  I whack these notes
pretty  hard before even putting a hammer to the pins.

I realize this isn't what you were asking for, but I hope it helps a little.

Dave Stahl