Caution on air travel and Kudos for Ruth Phillips

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:33:00 -0500

My sister had her eyebrow tweezers stolen by the government.

Being a little annoyed at the stupidity and arrogance of it, she said:
"Do you really think I'm going to threaten to pull the pilot's nosehairs
and make him take me to Cuba?" They didn't actually slam her to the
ground and arrest her, but they did exhibit some of their KGB
intimidation training.

It is absurd for two reasons: One, an ordinary ball point pen is legal
carry-on and a far more effective a weapon than half the stuff they
steal from unwitting (or half-witted) passengers. Two, as ANY airline
employee can confirm, a danger equal to or exceeding passengers with
tweezers is penetration of ground crews, flight crews, baggage handlers,
unsearched luggage, fuel farms, drivers, food service companies, etc.

I also think most terrorist groups see the beefed-up security around the
airlines and are looking elsewhere for targets. Railroads, for example:
Imagine a trainload of chemicals buring up inside the Baltimore tunnel
... Oh, wait, that already happened.

I think it would scare us mightily to know how vulnerable we still are.
There are real security measures being taken but most of the high
visibility security, e.g., the Federal Baggage Gestapo, is all for show
... Pure politics and "feel good" measures as in "Hey look what your
congressman is doing for you."

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO