Sorry, but I still believe that rims aid soundboard integrity!

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:50:11 -0700 (PDT)

Respectfully, Ron, these are two separate points, are
they not?
    Yes, a soundboard ( when built ) MAY support a
full load without a rim. And this, I am willing to
believe, can be amply demonstrated in the shop. But
to presume that a board with no rim holding it inward
would resist the downward pressure of strings, replete
with climate variations, OVER TIME is just that -- a
presumption.
     Unless, of course, you have already built a
board, laid it on a table ( preferably with a
concavity beneath ) and observed its deterioration
over DECADES! And then compared it to an identicle
board mounted in a rim.

     Respectfully,
     Thump