"Structural limits of the materials?" please explain.

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:46:20 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 21, 2003 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: "Structural limits of the materials?" please explain.

> O.K.. So wood crushes. But, after it has reached its
> limit of "compressibility" ( i.e, the softer portions
> between the rings have compressed to the full extent
> that they will from normal piano condition (NPC))
> wouldn't the remaining portion of the board be even
> more likely to accept and retain re-crowning from a
> shim along the perimeter, and shims in extant or
> manufactured cracks, than would a new board?
>     Cheerfully,
>     Thump

There is no "limit of compressibility." Shimming old soundboards does not,
will not and can not "re-crown" an old compression-damaged soundboard
enough to affect its acoustical function. See Soundboard Damage Parts I, II
and III in the December 1997, January 1998 and February 1998 Journals,
respectively.

Del