"Structural limits of the materials?" please explain.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:07:36 -0500

>O.K.. So wood crushes. But, after it has reached its
>limit of "compressibility" ( i.e, the softer portions
>between the rings have compressed to the full extent
>that they will from normal piano condition (NPC))
>wouldn't the remaining portion of the board be even
>more likely to accept and retain re-crowning from a
>shim along the perimeter, and shims in extant or
>manufactured cracks, than would a new board?
>     Cheerfully,
>     Thump

No, because pressure from the perimeter isn't what forms the crown (new or
resurrected) in the first place. So before you ask what does form the crown
if it isn't pressure from the perimeter, this has been described in minute
detail many many times on this list to many people with the same questions
who also apparently didn't read the previous rounds of explanation. I don't
really want to go over the whole thing in detail again quite this soon, so
I'd suggest you look up one of the dozen or so rounds of discussion (some
quite recent) that have already gone by. It's in the archives.

Ron N