Removing Bridge caps

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:24:23 -0700

Thanks for the site.  Actually, my favorite tool for doing the final
leveling and squaring on the bridge root prior to recapping or on bridge
caps themselves has been a Lie-Nielsen scraping plane.  It's a substantial
tool ($$$), but beautifully made with a blade that adjusts to different
angles.  I find it easier to control than a plane.  You have to make other
arrangements at the top of the treble bridge due to the position of the
blade, but it works very well.

David,
Might I suggest for "other arrangements at the top....", that you try 4"-6"
piece of Power Hack Saw Blade. They make marvelous scrapers and their cheap.
Buy a whole one and break it into the appropriate lengths, (Vise and hammer
technique!<G>). Grind with 1 degree bevel, (both sides)(I have my grinder
set up to do this, at all times). Oh, DULL the teeth! DAMHIK!<G>
Once you have used these little beasties, you'll never go back to those,
EXPENSIVE, flexible scrapers, that the fancy woodworker stores sell w/all
the "burnishers" and other BS accoutrements!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)