Rib overkill

Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:33:55 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Bratcher" <MBratPianos@indy.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 27, 2003 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: Rib overkill

> Ya' know...I had this same idea years ago.  The idea was based on the
> violin.  The panels are made of different woods to cater to different
> characteristics.  Maple for stiffness and good high end tones, and spruce
> for bass tones.  I thought about this in relation to the piano.  Maple is
> tougher wood than spruce.  The top panel made of maple could hold crown
> better (maybe), and give better high end sustain.  While the lower panel,
> made of spruce and crowned downward,  could be thinner and give better
bass
> response.  Connect these with a tone pole and you have a pianolin.
>
> Would it work?  Who knows...?

No. It wouldn't. Energy coupling problems between the two panels would
abound. Efficient energy coupling to just one panel is complex and
difficult enough. Getting it properly distributed to two panels in an
appropriate mix would be a nightmare I wouldn't wish on anyone. Even
without this problem, to make two separate soundboard panels (at least
panels made of wood) stiff enough to avoid their simply breaking up into a
myriad of resonances would make them so heavy the strings would simply not
have enough energy to drive them.

The patent files are full of stuff like this. But in the end elegant
simplicity wins out every time.

Del