soundboardinstal again

ranjacob@umich.edu ranjacob@umich.edu
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:11:41 -0400

Right, bridges serve to distribute load among the ribs, and don't
support crown, and I was asking whether or not a counter-bridge or "sister
bridge" had ever been intended, at least partly, to support crown. Or if,
without adding way too much stiffness and mass, a set of counterbridges (or
better, quasi-ribs parallel to the grain of the panel) *could* be designed
to support crown, so that, *assuming* there was anything to be gained from
it, ribs could be designed without having to have all of the crown support
as one of their functions.

I think that due to Del's reply and yours, I see better why this might not
work, or, at least, might be wholly unnecessary. (Understand, by the way,
that I am after grand piano tone, not, what might result if we tried to
"simplify" matters by pretending that we are trying to reproduce string
oscillations as found at the bridge cap, in the same way that an audio
engineer tries to reproduce air oscillations arriving at a microphone.)

First, I probably used the term "coupling" too generally.
I did mean what Del calls the "mechanical coupling" that is gained from the
combination of bridge pin angle and side bearing. (I
think I've seen the term "string coupling" in the sense of the
acoustical "coupling" interaction between the three strings of
the same trichord (reinforcement, gradual increase of vertical phase
cancellation from unavoidable lack of perfect unison,
etc.), but I had thought that a string could be said to be
acoustically coupled to a board assembly at the bridge, and that
the term could then be used more generally to include mechanical
coupling.)

Second, what Del calls "a system of opposing springs" captures
that part of the concept I've been missing the most. I knew
that a board assembly is a downward-hardening spring, and
therefore, in the absence of downbearing, would be an upward-softening
spring. If one were to remove the downbearing entirely,
it would rise to its equilibrium level as an a complex of
unloaded beams, very much as a wooden girder, floor joist, and
floor system, supported by a perimeter foundation, would do at the
top of a basement, if a heavy live load were removed from the
floor above. And at that equilibrium level, the board would be
too flexible at zero amplitude, if the string were mechanically
fastened to it (with help from the hitch pin...) at its own zero amplitude
(condition of rest and silence).

But, thinking so much of the string as having a great deal of tension, I
tended to think that downbearing would be, so to
speak, "borrowing just a little of the string's potential
energy" that the string has gained from that tension, and "not enough to
matter very much to its own -- the string's own -- function as a  spring".
I now see that as faulty thinking.

One way of visualizing the problem lies in considering the consequences of
the fact that the gaining of downbearing necessarily changes, from a right
angle, the angle of the string to the downward vector of board assembly
movement. (The assembly does have very high resistance to any change in the
exact angle at which its own deflection, as a complex of end-supported
beams, operates in response to the "live load" bearing down on it. ((Now,
*there's* a simplification...)) :) .)  Rather than being merely "just a
very small change of angle", this lessening of the right angle
fundamentally alters the right angle that is shown in a drawing, on
acoustic theory of the string, of the string as having one vertically fixed
termination (the capo or agraffe) and one termination that is fixed
horizontally, but whose vertical "quasi"-fixing is to a mass that is free
to move vertically -- e.g., a mass free to move vertically because, in
fact, in that dimension, it is a spring.  That is, the change from that
right angle to a smaller angle in the grand piano will cause the string to
have more tension than its resting tension at the top of its complete cycle
of vertical oscillation, and less tension than its resting tension at the
bottom of the complete cycle. These differences cancel each other out,
yielding a tone that is steady in pitch, just as the process of the
formation of the string's standing wave after the upward blow of the hammer
is, in part, a process of cancelling out certain of the effects of the
blow's having been upward rather than downward.

It is, therefore, this lessening from the right angle to the
assembly's vector as a spring that makes the string itself
an *opposing* string, in the sense that, at the required times
in the course of the fundamental's cycle (and, correspondingly, of the
cycles of the harmonics), the string is a not "simply" a
spring that hardens when moving upward from the rest position
of zero amplitude, but a spring that has the required degrees of
stiffness at that rest position and at all higher amplitudes.
The provision and adjustment of the adjustment of downbearing, therefore,
is a means to control the rate of vertical transmission "beyond", and, so
to speak, horizontal reflection backward from,
the coupling of the string to the bridge.

If I haven't made a new mistake here, my next question is:
are *lateral* transverse vibrations of the string (or, large lateral
vectors of vibrations that are significantly "slanted" from the vertical)
thought to be transmitted in any way that the theory
of the board assembly, and of the interaction of its components,
has been able to explain, or (usefully) speculate about?

Thanks for your help!

Randy Jacob
University of Michigan Library

--On Tuesday, July 29, 2003 2:40 PM -0500 Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@cox.net>