Jaras Key Button Jig

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:54:46 -0700

Currently, I'm working on the worst set of keys I've ever seen, (from a
manufacturing standpoint). It's from a Steinway "D", 1966/CBS/Pratt-Read! I
posted a pic of the center rail mortices, earlier, and got some really good
advice from you guys. I rigged up a jig, using the Jaras Key Button Jig, to
re-slot the center rail key pin slots. It worked pretty well. At least now
there is sufficient clearance for the key pin to travel properly. Oh, I cut
off the buttons and surfaced the top shoe, before I did the slot routing.
One of the first things I noticed about the Jaras K.B.Jig, is that it is not
designed to take keys this long, (first time, for me). So, anyhow, I
"Modified" the Jig.<G> (As usual!<G>) I'm wondering what some of you use to
replace/align/clamp on new buttons? I'd be interested in seeing your "Jigs"
for this job.
Much thanks,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)