Jaras Key Button Jig

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:11:43 -0400

Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Currently, I'm working on the worst set of keys I've ever seen, (from a
> manufacturing standpoint). It's from a Steinway "D", 1966/CBS/Pratt-Read! I
> posted a pic of the center rail mortices, earlier, and got some really good
> advice from you guys. I rigged up a jig, using the Jaras Key Button Jig, to
> re-slot the center rail key pin slots. It worked pretty well. At least now
> there is sufficient clearance for the key pin to travel properly. Oh, I cut
> off the buttons and surfaced the top shoe, before I did the slot routing.
> One of the first things I noticed about the Jaras K.B.Jig, is that it is not
> designed to take keys this long, (first time, for me). So, anyhow, I
> "Modified" the Jig.<G> (As usual!<G>) I'm wondering what some of you use to
> replace/align/clamp on new buttons? I'd be interested in seeing your "Jigs"
> for this job.
> Much thanks,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Joe,

Check out this photo of my jig. I describe this in the November 2002
Journal.

Also read my article in the March and April 2001 Journals.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979