Grand backchecks

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:16:52 -0400

Tom Driscoll wrote:
> List,
>
>             I performed some regulation on an older Baldwin L today.
> This action was rebuilt with all new action parts two years ago by
> another tech. and needed routine regulation to put things back in order.
>
>             The problem is with the checking. On a light blow the
> hammers are bouncing off the top of the backchecks. The rep .lever
> springs are adjusted correctly, key dip, blow, and after touch are all
> fine. Hammer tails are well prepped also. Changing the backcheck angle
> helped somewhat, but the symptom persists. The backchecks are 1 ¼ ? long
> and I?m thinking that a longer backcheck is necessary.
>
>             I see in the pianotech catalog an ?old? Steinway backcheck
> listed.
>
>             Advice appreciated.

Tom,

The symptoms you describe may be caused by checking too far from the
strings. They need to check no further than 5/8" from the string plane.

You seem to think that increasing the contact area between the the tail
and the back check will improve the situation. I find that you don't
need more than about 5/16" contact for good checking assuming things are
setup right. The larger checks found on the old S&S will not help.

If you have close enough checking and still have  problems you may need
to improve the friction on the contacting surfaces. Use medium grit sand
paper on a paddle and work the buckskin from the top down reestablishing
the grain of the leather. If there are indentation in the buckskin try
to work these out or replace the leather. Rough the tails with coarse
sand paper or a file card. This works well on walnut and mahogany hammer
molding but if you have ones that are maple or birch you will need to
use a checking file.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin