"Frozen" hammer rail screws

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 11:07:57 +0200

Hi, use a soldering iron, which already has a screwdriver like tip =
applied until the screw is hot. Also if you try tightening the screw =
before loosening it, that also can help to free it.

A new set of screws (or set from a scrap action) may be needed, and a =
dampp-chaser heater bar.

Brian
S. Africa - where it's dry

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Paul Tizzard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 9:55 AM
  Subject: "Frozen" hammer rail screws

  Hi list,

  Last week I assessed a piano at a local school that has all of the =
hammer rail screws "frozen" in the rail. The school is near the coast =
and the piano is in their hall. There is definitely a lot of moisture =
around generally. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to free the =
screws? I know heat is going to be involved, but what tools etc do you =
suggest? Are there any other possibilities? Finally, what is the worst =
case scenario?
  Thanks in advance.

  Paul Tizzard
  S. Africa