heavy Steinway action

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 07:27:16 -0400

Comments below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Dave Nereson" <davner@kaosol.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 3:21 AM
Subject: heavy Steinway action

  Does anyone call Steinway about these heavy actions?

I believe it would be a breach of list etiquette to repeat what they =
have been called.

  What do they say?

It's "personality".

  Or do they deny any accusations of having built anything "wrong"?=20

I have asked and they didn't know.

 Or is it not "wrong", but just heavy to certain players?=20

I service some "performance" Stwys at a local recital hall. They play =
like Mack trucks and the powers to be won't spend any $$. I have asked a =
few of the better performers what they thought of how the piano played - =
of course, expecting a complaint - and they said "Oh yes, they do play a =
bit heavy, but I'm used to it, I have a Stwy at home."

Arrrggggggg!

  Has Steinway changed capstan alignment or angle or knuckle size =
recently? =20

Every piano is unique!
=20
    If this were a new company just starting up, I could see how there =
might be action problems to iron out, but if a certain size action is =
basically the same as the one in front of or behind it on the assembly =
line, how can there be that much variance?

Very interesting question, isn't it?

Hey, the bottom line: "personality" in a piano means $$ for you and me!  =
 :-)
=20
    --David Nereson, RPT