heavy Steinway action

Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:01:25 +0200

Dave Nereson wrote:

>     Does anyone call Steinway about these heavy actions?  What do they
> say?  Or do they deny any accusations of having built anything
> "wrong"?  Or is it not "wrong", but just heavy to certain players?
> Has Steinway changed capstan alignment or angle or knuckle size
> recently?    If this were a new company just starting up, I could see
> how there might be action problems to iron out, but if a certain size
> action is basically the same as the one in front of or behind it on
> the assembly line, how can there be that much variance?    --David
> Nereson, RPT

Oh... there can be quite a bit of variance. And believe it or not,
Steinway is amoung the better students in the class. Buy yourself a
Stanwood touchweight measuring kit from Pianotek, and start checking out
actions as you get them in. Its actually increduable what you find of
variances from pianos of same make.

The best I've seen so far are the Hamburg Steinways (I dont get a chance
to see any of the New York ones here so I cant speak to those) and these
are closely followed by Yamaha actions. The rest of the players I run
into are miles behind when it comes right down to it.

All this just goes to show how much improvement on the origional idea
attentive piano techs can achieve... and how much extra moolah they can
make doing it... by simply hopping on the New Metrology by Stanwood
bandwagon.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne