Malmsjo (was Re: Name That Piano !!)

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:12:30 -0700 (GMT)

> At 06:51 AM 6/3/03 , you wrote:
>Looks like this particuliar piano has stirred a bit of interest......
>
>Take a gander
>
>http://dogen.mine.nu/malmsjo/
>
>Cheers
>
>RicB

I did a search on Malmsjo and didn't come up with too much, but I did find a couple of interesting things.  Apparently some companies that do MIDI file sampling have chosen to sample some Malmsjo pianos.  From what I could see from looking around a little the sound of these has been very popular with players. Here is one such that gives a little history of the company (don't know where they got it):

http://www.soniccontrol.com/tech/midi/articles/samplecds/malmsjo.shtml

Here's a site that has some samples that you can download so that you can compare Steinway, Yamaha, and Malmsjo:

http://www.pianostudio.co.uk/performer.php

And finally, here's a site where they talk about recording samples from a Malmsjo grand and give some pictures:

http://www.hastmassoren.com/demos/StudioGrand88.pdf

I'd be interested in knowing more about this company if anybody has any sources.

Phil F

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 130