Malmsjo (was Re: Name That Piano !!)

Wed, 4 Jun 2003 01:22:26 +0200

Hi Phil!

Malmsjö is one of the most common brands in Sweden. You see those old grands
everywhere. Unfortunatly they dissapeared just like the rest of the Swedish
pianomakers. Malmsjö was very inspired by Steinway (or should we say they
were copying Steinway designs) wich can easily be seen by looking at them.
Malmsjö had some workers from Steinway, but I think that was after the time
when they looked really much the same.

I think a chinese manufacturer bought all the machines etc from some Malmsjö
when they stopped building pianos (I think they also bought Nordiska
pianofabrikens equipment).

The instruments are pretty great, but I dont think that the sample-set you
have heard really reflects how good. The sample-set sounds just like the
average old Malmsjögrand with the original hammers (dull with a guitarrish
bass). They can really sound good and the handcraft was very nice. Robust
instruments with lots of power. Not like Steinway, but still something we
Swedes are alittle proud of ;)

I really dont know much about the history of Malmsjö and I dont know where
to get more information about them.

I know this url has been posted before, but here is a very unusual grand
made by Malmsjö - the banana-grand :)
http://stockholm.music.museum/samlingar/banan.html

Daniel