Hand made

JStan40@aol.com JStan40@aol.com
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 01:00:03 EDT

>> >I should have put that in quotes like above but isn't
> >>that one of their big selling points? "Hand made!"
> >
> >>Avery
>

> <Yes indeed, "hand made".
>
> ... but everything in the action is still machined...
>
> <G>
>
> Ron N>

Avery and Ron,

Just about two weeks ago the Chicago Chapter met at the local S&S rebuild
shop and was treated to a presentation by Eric Schandall, which focused on
Steinway parts and how they were and are manufactured.  Yes, all of them are
machined, most now by entirely new, redesigned machines of rather staggering
proportions, but machined...............by hand.  That is, almost all of these
machines have an operator controlling them, rather than leaving it to computerized
controls, as would usually be the case, say, in machine tool shops.  Sure, the
parts are made to more uniform tolerances than they have ever been.......but as
Ron is saying (I believe--he'll stomp me if I'm wrong, don't worry), all of
this fine, precision array is then assembled by hand in a piano carcass that
has NOT been machined to similarly close tolerances, hence the lack of
interchangeability of actions, for example.  And the vastly different feel to
instruments that only LOOK identical.  (Why this should come as any kind of surprise, I
don't know!)

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
Associate Member