Key Leads and Inertia Experiment

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:40:46 +0200

Couldnt sleep... :) Wanted to try something out here to try and clear up
where I am confused about things.

Lets take a very shot in the dark type example keyset. Given the following
:

[Image]

Where r =10 cm; rb = 5 cm; rk = 2.5 cm;  m = 30 grams and M = 140 grams.
(just accept these as working values)

whats going to be our breakpoint acceleration, and what will be the force
needed to get there ?

Before trying to work this out... I took M of 140 grams because thats a
fairly typical weight that could be expected to be resting on the capstan
of a key in the middle / low part of a piano. I'm unsure as to whether
this is right  to insert this here...... so correct if wrong.

In anycase.... g is the acceleration due to gravity right ?... ie. circa
9.8 ms^2 ?

That gives if so (r/rb)g =  19.6ms^2 which should then be the breakpoint
acceleration for this example.

Fbr then is (140 * 2.5 + Ik/5 )( 9.8/10), and if Ik can be understood to
be Mrk^2 then thats 140 * 6.25 = 875 which ends up yielding a force of
514.5 grams.

Which if even remotely correct would mean we are confined to pretty light
play levels for this soft zone.

Ok .... this should suffice to show exactly where I am confused about what
to plug in where in the formulas at the appendix. So... please straighten
me out on this one :)

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.

--------------4AF4EFC1A5DF03A6DB8C7150
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--------------4AF4EFC1A5DF03A6DB8C7150
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmailMH.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 5600 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------4AF4EFC1A5DF03A6DB8C7150--