Bose Imperial Bass Strings

Paul McCloud pmc303@ricochet.com
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 08:52:58 -0700

Friends:

            I have a Bosendorfer Imperial 9=92 grand that has been
restrung.  The bass string replacement sets I=92ve gotten from the =
string
company haven=92t been satisfactory, and I=92m wondering what to do =
about
it.  Here=92s the history.

            The first set was made by a company in Canada (won=92t name)
who was recommended by our associate store=92s technician.  (The piano =
is
for sale at the store where I work).  I sent the original strings for
them to duplicate.  They were very conscientious about making them
exactly the same as the old ones.  It seems that the old strings had
windings VERY close to the bridge pins.  Since we (at the store) were
concerned about some local tech finding this and badmouthing the piano
(and possibility of buzzing on the bridge pins) we decided to reorder
the strings and make the windings end farther from the bridge.  I spoke
to the winder, and he suggested sending a pattern, which I did.  Now,
they had the old strings and the pattern to work with.  The new strings
arrived, and were installed.  Several of the strings had windings that
came extremely close to the agraffes, many less than =BC=94.  Some were
almost touching.  When I called to complain, they said I had made the
pattern wrong.  Ok, maybe so.  But, thankfully, he was willing to remake
about half a dozen of the closest ones, at no charge.  They were
satisfactory, but after installing a couple, I realized that the rest of
the strings were stretching (it took a few months before I installed the
new replacements).  The other strings had stretched so much, the
windings on them also came very close to the agraffes.  At this point, I
decided to go to another string company (U.S. maker) who said he had the
string scale already (36 string bass scale).  I ordered the full set,
and they arrived a few days ago.  I found that this set was exactly like
the original set the Canadian company had made, with the windings so
close to the bridge pins, and the windings near the agraffes.  I =
didn=92t
install the strings, actually, but I could see that they were too long,
and would have come too close to the agraffes when pulled to pitch.

            At this point, I don=92t know if I should expect the =
American
string company to take back the strings.  It=92s not their fault,
necessarily, nor is it mine, since they assured me that they had made
lots of these and had no complaints.=20

I=92m inclined to use a tape to measure the distances from hitch pin (I
got one of those special tape measures at a convention), and have custom
strings made from the actual numbers.  But, I=92m not a rebuilder, nor =
do
I have much experience with these Bosies, so any suggestions y=92all =
might
have would be gratefully appreciated. =20

Thanks,

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego

=20