Key Leads and Inertia

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sun, 08 Jun 2003 07:50:06 -0400

>What we need to do is convince pianist to firmly press the right pedal
>and keep it down while playing. In addition they should keep the tips of
>there fingers precisely 9 mm from the ends of the keys. This is the only
>way that pianist can experience the full benefits of a precision
>balanced action. Oh, I forgot, they should only play very softly.
>
>John Hartman RPT

John,

In my book a precision balanced action isn't about perfectly even BW it's
about smooth hammer weights and smooth front weights with a lead pattern
that is in a consistent postition from key to key.  I mean on the order of
near-the-front, near-the-middle, etc....  The dynamic feel is more
predicatable at all dynamic levels.   Of course piaists strike different
parts of the key but if the static weights are less chaotic it helps them
for sure.  In fact in an action with equation balanced smooth Strike
Weights and Front Weights, the Balance Weights are not even because of
inconsistencies in ratio and friction.  The pianists don't seem to mind at
all.

David Stanwood