George Steck grand

Sun, 8 Jun 2003 07:20:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 07, 2003 9:25 AM
Subject: George Steck grand

> .... It is an agraffeless piano
> (through the bass).  The piano currently suffers from bad scaling and
> corrosion on the strings and has a rubber band sounding bass....My
> question has to do with whether or not it would be worth creating a more
> secure arrangement for the terminations at the tuning pin side in the
bass
> and low to mid tenor, and how that might be done in a faux agraffe way.

Just what is the bass string termination? I've not seen a George Steck with
a capo tastro bar down there but, of course, I've not seen them all and
George was fairly inventive. Or is it just a string coming over a bearing
bar with pins or something--ala typical upright style? In the bass it
doesn't take much to provide an adequate termination.

You can always try drilling and tapping for agraffes, but it's not easy and
it is very time-consuming if you want to get it right.

Regards,

Del