1999 Steinway L with heavy action

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 18:05:51 +0200

Mark Davidson wrote:

> That's basically what I did.  Started out without roller bearing,
> but I realized after only five or six notes that I couldn't consistent
> numbers, and was seeing up to .5 gram variation for the same
> hammer. So rigged up a bearing and started over.
>
> I think David Love is bugged by the fact the something just
> doesn't add up, and I agree.

I think David saw the possibility that the measurements, taken by someone who
perhaps has had only a little of experience doing this, were scewered by either
that inexperience or some other error... such as having the action in decent
regulation before taking BW measurements. And, rightly so, pointed out that it
is necessary to have dependable data for this kind of stuff.

But if you are sure your data is solid, then fine. In that case both David
Stanwoods fine graphical representations and the raw numbers tables I supplied
are valid and can be used to make decisions with pertainant to what to do for a
solution to your problem.

> The only other odd thing I have noticed is that the capstan
> screws seemed quite high.  So maybe the horizontal spread
> is normal but not the vertical?  The increased distance from
> top of capstan to bottom of balance rail hole would decrease
> leverage, would it not?
>
> -Mark

Does the Steinway "L" not use those soldered in place rails for whippen and
hammers ?? Again... this comment seems a bit odd.... as high capstans would tell
us short blow... but as David S pointed out for us the blow length for this
model is already too far as it is.

As for the difference in leverage for difference in capstan height...  I dont
think you are going to measure that difference for the Stanwood Key Ratio.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.