Key Leads and Inertia

Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:49:06 +0200

Phillip Ford wrote:

> >Thanks for bringing this up, it's another reason to be suspicious of
> >the benefits of precision static calibration. It strikes me as
> >absurd ...Oh, I forgot, they should only play very softly.
> >
> >John Hartman RPT
>
> I couldn't agree more.  And now that you mention it, no temperament
> results in all the intervals being pure.  So it strikes me as absurd
> that anyone bothers tuning the d_____ things at all.  They're just
> going to be mostly out of tune anyway when you get done.
>
> Phil Ford BFD

Quite so Phil, but you have to understand that there is in important
distinction between tuning intervals from a static point of view, and
tuning them from a dynamic point of view. You see it really doesnt matter
whether or not the mundane and oversimplified reduction of tuning to
theoretical cents offsets conforms or not to the actual tuning. No no no
no... there is a quality of in-tunedness, a resonant emphosiasm of
correctness that transcends all this one dimensional thinking.  When the
piano is played, it must respond in kind... it must tickle when tickled,
laugh when laughed at, scower when scowered to, abase when it is abased
in self, and on those rare occasions when the pianist is up to it... it
carry us off to places of delight and wonder not otherwise accessable to
human kind. (well.. some southern California coast folks seem have taken
up permant residence in these places.... but thats another story)

Only tuning from a perspective of the dynamics of the pianos voice will
achieve this,  where as simply aligning the notes to some number on a
chart will result in a voice no-one will remember. A dull, characterless,
monotony of de-symphonized noise. Nay.... our task is to take that
succulent breath of musical endeavour and impart this through our
extremties with a creative transparency equal in quality to that used by
the pianist herself. A tuners task is one of near ultimate consumation,
to emulsify oneself in the veritable soul of the instrument and in leave
it in a state of shimmering bliss so that the slightest touch... the most
delicate contact brings it cause to sweep these sonorous soundings
through the spirit of all who would but open their ears to the pianists
mind.

I have these devices for stiffening strings that dramatically increase
string compliance..... :)

Cheers
RicB

--