Steinway O

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:00:56 +0200

On dinsdag, jun 10, 2003, at 18:20 Europe/Amsterdam, Calin Tantareanu
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I'd like to ask you about the Steinway model O (180cm) pianos. I have
> one
> made in Hamburg around 1910, which I'd like to restore. Are there any
> special things to be aware of?
>
> Regards,
>
>  Calin Tantareanu

Those are very nice instruments but take a lot of time and energy to
repair properly.
First of all they have those helper springs on the whippen flanges and
tiny hammers which are extremely light.
The most difficult part of the repair lies in preparing the hammers,
installing the hammers the right way, regulating the hammers and
voicing them.
Repairing sound board cracks, restringing, renewing bushings etc and
damping is not that demanding really.
That's in a nut shell what is difficult and dangerous about Steinways
and old ones in particular.

Antares,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl