Steinway O

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:32:18 -0400

Calin Tantareanu wrote:
 > Hello everybody,
 >
 > I'd like to ask you about the Steinway model O (180cm) pianos. I have
 > one made in Hamburg around 1910, which I'd like to restore. Are there
 > any special things to be aware of?

Calin,

There is one thing you may find if you replace the soundboard. I haven't
done many Hamburg grands but the two that I can recall I found one screw
driven into the bridge from under the soundboard. it was hidden by a
rib. I have never seen this on any of the New York Steinway I have
worked on. It was a bit of a surprise and it took a little time to
figure out. Just one screw under one rib in the lower tenor, definitely
original. I am not sure why this was done but it would indicate that
they were gluing the bridge on before the ribs.

Some other differences I have noticed: Generally thinner soundboard
panels with plenty of tapering all around. Somewhat more bevel given to
the inner rim to comfort with soundboard crown.

A while back I did two hamburg "O"s at about the same time and as I
recall they were of slightly different designs. On had the lower tenor
bridge trimmed out between the robs as is seen on most New York grands.
The other had just the opposite arraignment. The bridge was trimmed over
the ribs being glue to the panel between the ribs. I have never seen
this on a New York Steinway.

I would definitely replace the soundboard and pinblock on a piano this
old. Certainly some action work will be needed if not a lot. I wouldn't
use the heavy hard hammers available from the Hamburg factory on this
piano they will just screw op the tone and force you to do all sorts of
extra work to make the action accept them. You could use NY hammers
(good luck with the boring and other details) but they will be a little
heavier than the originals. The best thing is to find someone to cold
press relatively light felt onto light moldings. Do your own boring,
shaping and trimming.

I just finished a 1913 "O" and I was very pleased with the results.
Nice sweet tone, plenty of dynamic control and very good sustain.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979