Kawai keyframe levelling

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:59:09 -0700

Bruce,
I would definately add "glides" for the front rail. You'll need a "Fortsner"
bit to drill the "inset". You could use a "Spade" bit, to get the "inset"
started, but they are a bit brutal to the wood. Try drilling with the
"Spade" bit, just enough to give the "Forstner" something to guide on.
Switch to the "Fortsner", to get to the proper depth. Then, (centering on
the "dimple" left by the "Fortsner"), use a regular drill to drill for the
threaded stem. It's a good idea to do a test on a scrap piece of wood, to
make sure the stem hole will be the correct tightness, etc. I would "equal"
the glides, as there are in the center rail, so that they are in line,
(approximately), with each other. In other words, if the balance rail has 6
glides, then the front should have 6. It'll take a bit more time to get that
system to "balance", but in the future, you'll have it (un-)knocked. <G>I
must say the "thumb tack" trick is quite ingenious!<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)