Shank Lengths for Steinway L

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:21:27 -0700 (GMT)

>sorry folks, I meant 13 cm or 130 mm as length for shanks in STW's. I got

>mixed up with the measure between the center pin of hammer flange and
>whippen flange.
>
>Antares,
>The Netherlands

While we're on the subject you also said:

'Sure, as far as you and I know, 13,5 cm, but in the treble it may vary because of the shortcomings in the frame. I have seen them move the entire third hammer section inwards more than 6-7-even 8 cm! not to mention the last section.'

I know that Steinway's manufacturing tolerances may be a tad lax but a strike line that deviates 8 cm from the theoretical line?  Did you perhaps mean 8 mm?

Phil F

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 130