Bass String Coils

Blaine Hebert blaine.hebert@att.net
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:53:51 -0700

Today I saw a pair of replaced bass strings on a nice Steinway.  This
instrument was being considered for purchase by a good player but it had
one bass note with a bad overtone.  The store ordered a pair of new
strings and another tech put them in.  After installation the coils on
both new strings matched the original stringer's coils exactly.  I am
pretty good at matching coils and can recognize good work; I was
impressed.

My survey question is; what is the technique that you use to match pin
coils to come out at exactly the same angle as the original stringing
job?  Do you use "three fingers"?  Measure past the pin?

Blaine Hebert  URPT