Steinway heavy touch

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:28:07 -0500

I just have to tell my story about heavy playing pianos. I tune and service
a Yamaha LU-90 owned by a concert pianist who is also a piano teacher here
in Panama. He had me install a total of 3 1/2 lead weights ON EACH KEY to
make it play as heavy as possible. The 1/2 weight is mounted on the end of
the key. He advocates weighting the keys so that he will never run into a
piano thats hard to play. The touch weight is twice that of a Steinway D. He
must have pretty strong fingers by now.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 6:51 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Steinway heavy touch

Could be hammers, could be improperly leaded keys, could be capstan
position, could be center rail location, could be friction from a variety of
sources, could be something as simple as new hammer rail springs having way
too much tension - or for that matter, damper springs with too much tension.
Or any combination of the aforementioned. Or all of them.

And I believe it is more likely that the prospective customers are simply
looking for a touchweight somewhere near original Stwy spec of 48 to 52
grams and not "the soft touch of an electronic keyboard."

I service a couple old Stwys at a local recital hall - a Large and a Big.
They both play like Mack trucks. I recently asked a performer what she
thought of the way one of them played - she said: "Well, the touch is quite
heavy, but that's OK because I am used to it - I have a Stwy at home!"

Geeeeesh!

Terry Farrell