Steinway heavy touch

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 20:42:01 -0500

I always warn people who want heavy that there is the risk of injury.
 I have a customer who is a concert pianist who wanted me to add
weight to the hammers on her "B" because it was too light.  Actually
it was too light.  Now she likes it but it has a 56-gram DW and
42-gram UW!!!!   I really wish she had the money to do some of the
right things for it, but she's young and just getting started so
money IS an object.

dave

On 6/15/2003 at 6:32 PM Avery Todd wrote:

>At 11:28 AM 06/15/03 -0500, you wrote:
>>I just have to tell my story about heavy playing pianos. I tune and
>service
>>a Yamaha LU-90 owned by a concert pianist who is also a piano
teacher here
>>in Panama. He had me install a total of 3 1/2 lead weights ON EACH
KEY to
>>make it play as heavy as possible. The 1/2 weight is mounted on the
end of
>>the key. He advocates weighting the keys so that he will never run
into a
>>piano thats hard to play. The touch weight is twice that of a
Steinway D.