Steinway heavy touch

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 08:33:28 -0500

No, I don't have a medical degree and I don't have any data to
support this warning (no "claim" is made).  I have, however, seen
very talented pianists have to drop out of graduate programs here
because of repetitive stress injuries.  It's not much of a logical
leap to realize that since "stress" is involved in these injuries an
abnormally heavy action will introduce higher stress.  I can think of
two people immediately, to whom this happened.  One had to drop out
for a year to recover, the other had abandon the piano and pursue
other interests.  If this happens to people I don't want them to be
able to say that I contributed to their injury by giving them the
heavy action they asked for.  I just think that's common sense and
even common courtesy.

dave

On 6/16/2003 at 9:52 AM Richard Brekne wrote:

>"David M. Porritt" wrote:
>
>> I always warn people who want heavy that there is the risk of
injury.

>You have some medical data to support this claim ?? I would love to
read
>this. Jimmeneess ... in America somebody could sue a piano
manufacturer
>for everything they are worth and then some if they could make this
case
>stick. :)
**************** END MESSAGE FROM  Richard Brekne
David M. Porritt