Steinway heavy touch

Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:56:41 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: "PTG" <pianotech@ptg.org>; "Richard Brekne"
<Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
Sent: June 16, 2003 8:19 AM
Subject: Re: Steinway heavy touch

> I didn't tell them about the weight, they came to the conclusion
> themselves; a few of them because they had two pianos, one with a much
> lighter touch.  Maybe it has to do with the excessive force issue.  I
don't
> dispute what you are saying as the primary causes, however, I can report
> that since making modifications to these actions (at their request) the
> problems seem to have disappeared.  Placebo effect?:)
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

If so the effect must be fairly common. I've observed the same results over
the years. Folks developing problems with their hands/arms due, in their
own and/or their medical professional's opinion, at least in part to the
weight (use "force" if you like) of the touch on their pianos. Perhaps the
problem is not actually resolved by reducing the mass of the hammers,
lightening up the touch and, in most cases also reducing the key touch
depth, but for some then unexplained reason their symptoms are either
greatly reduced or they disappear altogether. As you say....

Del