Bottom This!

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:01:26 -0500

I=92d say =93Top This=94 but it=92s not really a high point or an =
achievement.
=20
Tuning a not-so-bad little Wurly spinet (Thayer Action) for an older
lady in a retirement community apartment.
=20
Refrigerator humming along at about 15 db
Ceiling fan with bad bearings whizzing around at about 20 db
Window air conditioner whooshing out white noise at about 40 db
Barry Manilow kind of music coming from the apartment next door, softly
but annoying
Daughter and Grandkids (ages 2 and 4) show up, conversation 20 db, 50 db
laughter and squealing, with gusts up to 90
TV comes on, the Cartoon Network at maybe 25 db
Maintenance man shows up on humongous lawn tractor, back and forth, back
and forth, roaring under the window. Don=92t know the db level but HE is
wearing ear defenders!
His helper arrives with the gas Weed-Eater
BzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzzWzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzwzzz!
=20
Whipped out my PocketPC-Tunelab and DID IT. Everyone said it sounded
great when I finished: But what do THEY know!
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
=20
P.S. I=92ve tuned while rock bands practiced in the next room and dealt
with every kind of clock, etc. But I=92m convinced that the high pitched
squeals of small children are the hardest sounds to tune through.
=20

---