Steinway heavy touch

Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:41:21 -0500

Folks,

At 18:22 06/16/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Richard Brekne wrote:
>>>Dave
>>
>>You want to advise RSI afflicteds that their problems will be solved by
>>lowering touchweight,.. Go for it.
>
>I don't know that lowering touchweight, or should we say balance weight,
>is going to cure RSIs. It is possible that a light touch is less stressful
>for those so afflicted, but I doubt that a heavy touch is the cause of
>their injury.

As a recovering carpal tunnel surgery person (bi-lateral), I'd like to add
my non-scientific thoughts on the matter.

I think that the heaviness of the action, while it may not directly cause
RSI, contributes to a favorable climate for it's development by causing
fatigue. Fatigue, in turn, causes deterioration of technique.

Physiology and conditioning certainly contribute, but the "no pain:no gain"
philosophy of playing on a >70gm keyboard, IMMHO, is like beating your head
against a wall because it feels so good when you stop.

Conrad Hoffsommer
Designing and testing virtual flamesuits since 1993.