Steinway heavy touch

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 23:20:02 -0400

In a message dated 16/06/03 9:43:40 PM, hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu writes:
>the "no pain:no gain" philosophy of playing on a >70gm keyboard,
>IMMHO, is like beating your head
>against a wall because it feels so good when you stop.

I took care of a pianist once, a student of Serkin's, who constantly
broke strings on his Steinway A II, in a small room in his farmhouse.
I told him if he raised the lid full stick, he would not break
strings because he wouldn't have to drive the piano as hard. But, he
insisted, if he raised the lid he would drown himself out. The
impetuousness of the artist.

The health issues here are quite similar to those in tuning. The
question is which is more stressful to tune, a high-torque pinblock
(150"/# and up) or a medium one (75-100"/#).  Regardless of what
conditional we're in athletic or potato, or how at ease we are with a
tuning hammer, when you put us on a tight block, it requires more
muscle and if you've got that, more energy. It's an extra physical
challenge no matter what physical shape you're in. I know my stress
level is much lower with a 100"/# block than a 175"/# block. And I'm
not convinced that a solid tuning necessarily requires such a tuning
pin grip.

The same could be said of an action with a stiff dose of inertia. I
imagine that someone well-grounded in the natural way to play would
feel any more comfortable with a high inertia action, than a
compulsive-obsessive piano performance major. I see nothing wrong
with lightening people's actions.

Who knows, maybe a light filing of the hammers would give the sound
the teeth they're trying to get the piano to show. The interesting
part of this thread is that it started off with the a Steinway
vertical, got transferred into a grand, and from there generalized
and abstracted, with an interesting tangent of RSI. Does kind of hint
at the group of us for whom pianos seem mainly to be grands, doesn't
it. <g>

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.