Steinway heavy touch

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:12:59 -0500

>I know my stress level is much lower with a 100"/# block than a 175"/#
>block. And I'm not convinced that a solid tuning necessarily requires such
>a tuning pin grip.

Quite the opposite. Beyond certain torque levels, utterly undocumented and
conclusively unprovable, it becomes much harder to produce a solid tuning.

>The same could be said of an action with a stiff dose of inertia. I
>imagine that someone well-grounded in the natural way to play would feel
>any more comfortable with a high inertia action, than a
>compulsive-obsessive piano performance major. I see nothing wrong with
>lightening people's actions.

Me either. What the hell ever happened to "if it hurts, don't do it", or
change something? That used to be a fairly common attitude. If lightening
the touch does it, that's the fix. If adjusting technique to non self
destructive approaches works, do it. If abandoning piano for bagpipes is
what it takes, take your belt in a couple of notches and wail away.