Jesse French Plastic

Ray T. Bentley ray@bentley.net
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:40:46 -0500

Yesterday, I had to disappoint a 90 plus year old lady by telling her =
that her piano is unusable (no use to tune it) at this time because of =
plastic parts failure in her Jesse French piano.  It's probably a large =
console with a case designed like a studio with the entire top lifting =
up much like many Baldwin Hamiltons.  It appears to be from the early =
50's, though Pierce doesn't give any dates for it.  Over 30 back checks =
are completely gone with a half dozen or so having been replaced with =
wood at some time in the past.  At present there are another six or =
eight damper levers (plastic, too) that are broken.

The question:

Are parts available to fit this action to repair it?  I told her that it =
would probably take a commitment of several hundred dollars to replace =
all of the plastic, even if suitable wooden replacements are available.  =
She and I both feel that given the age of both the piano and the client, =
that repairs are probably not economically feasible.  I feel that =
repairing only those that are broken at this time will not produce long =
lasting satisfaction, as other parts will no doubt continue to break in =
the future.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks to all.

Ray

Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Registered Piano Tuner-Technician