Stuart & Sons: Sydney launch of the 8 Octave 2.2m grand

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:27:04 +1000

>Interesting post Simon.
>
>I was checking around the website and would have enjoyed a few pictures that
>really revealed more about what the instrument looks like inside. There was
>one closeup of the brigde aggraffes we've heard tell about. They look very
>neat to be sure.
>
>Would be nice if somebody could rip a cut or two from one of the CD's and
>post them so we could get a sense of how this sounds.

I have a commercial recording of the Stuart 290 concert grand, but I
think it would be better to get a recording of a 220 so that we could
compare similar sized instruments. I'm not at all frightened of
having our 225 compared to Wayne's 290 (its has happened once and I
wasn't disappointed), but the playing field should a bit more
levelled. Not much else has been so far, but I feel a change coming
on.

Indeed, last night was the official launch concert for the Stuart 220
(three were on stage blazing away). An interesting night to be sure.
I was lucky to find a seat almost directly above the pianos and one
had the lid off. I took down three pages of notes during the concert
(quietly you understand).

The ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) recorded the concert
last night, so it might be possible to obtain and pick out some of
the nicer sounding passages. I thought the blonde wood finish piano
was the better toned of the three, but the other two . . .

I would prefer not to write about my detailed impressions of the
tone, but they were nicely finished instruments. I'll consider
describing the design features, perhaps tomorrow?

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
      Grand Piano Manufacturers