Centering tuning pin holes

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:39:25 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_0011_01C33689.BA6C8740
I drill in the piano. I use a Self-Centering Transfer Punch (page 2110) =
http://www.mcmaster.com/ to mark the hole center, and then I drill with =
my overhead drill press. I get close by aiming the bit and the dent from =
the punch draws the bit perfectly to the center. Below is the result - =
unfortunately the viewing angle makes things look a little offset. Top =
center is close to directly under the camera lens. They ended up =
centered pretty well. A few are less than perfect, but not bad. On some =
of these plates that have very small plate holes (some are not much =
bigger than the pin), I can see that I would need to improve my =
technique (but maybe we just need to drill the plate holes bigger?). I =
error slightly away from the string side of the pin (toward the piano =
top on this upright) figuring that if the pin ever moves at all, it will =
move slightly toward the string side of the pin.

Richards idea of a collar that sets into the plate hole sounds like a =
winner - I might have to try something like that.

Also, someone posted about drill bit runout. I've had a couple =
machine-savy types tell me that whatever small-shop-type drill press you =
get will have a chuck on it that costs about $3 (and might be worth even =
less!). Buy your drill press, and then plan on spending about $100 or so =
on a good after-market chuck. I think I paid about $85 for my chuck that =
I slapped on my $59 Crapsman drill press - but it does seem to work =
well!

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20