Of Magnents and Ratio

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:39:37 -0700 (GMT)

> At 03:20 AM 6/19/03 , you wrote:
>Hi Touchweight enthusiasts
>
>Our freind Hans Velo is at it again with his magnent inventions. The
>latest issue of the European Journal carries a short where he describes
>the use of magnets to create a virtual hammer shank knuckle. This idea
>is rather fascinating because in addition to reducing friction at the
>knuckle, it claims to reduce the amount of counterweighting needed by
>the keys. Effectively, these two magnets add a second << virtual >>
>knuckle whippen interface that presumably alters the action ratio
>significantly enough to allow for less key leading.

I don't understand why you have to alter the action ratio.  Wouldn't reducing the friction alone allow for less key leading?

>The device itself consists of a screw resembling a drop screw that goes
>throught he shank just aft of the knuckle, the bottom of which has a
>magnet attached. Just under this on the repetition lever is a repeling
>counterpart. Both are fully adjustble and are angled such that the
>distance between them is  maintained through the arcs of the two part
>through most of the key stroke............
>
>Cheers
>RicB

I wonder about the effect on hammer line and blow distance with this device.  When the hammer is supported by the repetition lever and spring there is a hard adjustable stop that determines the location of the hammer.  Not so with this device as far as I can see.

I also question the idea that you want to reduce friction between the jack and knuckle to zero or near zero.  I think the pianist needs this friction as feedback.

Phil F