Virtual Capstan

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:23:19 -0500

>>But the main problem has always been finding something
>>that didnt get in the way of regulating the standard capstan. This
>>solves that problem.
>
>Again, congratulations.

Has this been tried in actual hardware, or just as a vaporware conceptual
exercise? There's a considerable gap between magnets in the drawing, and
the inverse square law of magnetic field strength would indicate to me that
you'd need magnets of considerable size, and mass, to have much effect with
this sort of gap. I think I'd like a performance report of the prototype
before any discussion.