Virtual Capstan

Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:28:17 +0200

Richard Brekne wrote:

> > >Again, congratulations.
> >
> > Has this been tried in actual hardware, or just as a vaporware conceptual
> > exercise? There's a considerable gap between magnets in the drawing, and
> > the inverse square law of magnetic field strength would indicate to me that
> > you'd need magnets of considerable size, and mass, to have much effect with
> > this sort of gap. I think I'd like a performance report of the prototype
> > before any discussion.

Just as an example, in a as simple as you can get mockup using hobby magnets
available at your nearest hobby shop I have recorded the following a couple weeks
back

Renner action model, no whippen assist spring, FW of 30.6 grams

Without Magnets

DW 52
UW 30

With Magnets

DW 46
UW 27

Four magnets Ø15mm x 2mm thick were used with 3 of them attached to the keystick,
and 1 attached to a dowle made out of a bit of hammer shank which was mortised into
the underside of the whippen. The distance between opposing magnet faces was about
3 mm and they were centered 15 mm front of the capstan. Together the 4 magnets and
the dowel added 10 grams of dead weight to the system... yet despite this and the
very rough character of the mockup  I achieved a 4.5 lessening of BW and a 1.5 gram
reduction in friction. Nice thing about this is that I droped 6 grams of DW and
only 3 grams of UW.

Course these magnets are cheap, inneffective and too large around to begin with.
But as I said the basic concept is well demonstrated. With appropriate magnets and
an nicely engineered execution this idea will work just dandy.

Cheers

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.