Virtual Capstan

Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:45:02 +0200

Hi folks

I managed to find a few Neodym Magnets of an appropriate dimension today. These are
much stronger and probably more or less what should be used for this application.

Each weighs about 0.8 grams, and has quite a bit more energy then the ones I posted
figures for earlier on.

So below is a picture with a very basic way of installing them and the resulting
figures. I changed a tight center on the hammershank flange so the non magnet figures
are slightly different. We have:

30 grams FW

No magnents    DW/UW  50/31

Magnets at 10 mm seperation DW/UW 48/30

Magnets at 6 mm seperation   DW/UW 43/26

Total weight of the added parts was 6.3 grams

Not much mass, lots of distance, and more effect then will ever be needed. One thing I
noticed already about the touch. The key gets an extra shove down, yet there is no real
bump with the wippen coming back into contact... because the magnets insure a soft
landing as it were.

[Image]

Cheers

A good technician friend of mine and I are going to work up a really nice installation
proceedure and presentation after we finish refining this angle on the idea and testing
it out on an August Forster Grand.

Total cost... about 3 hours work for installation, and about 40 cents a magnet or just
under a 150 dollars if you use four as in the example. Looks to me tho that you could
easily use just 3, if not 2 and still get plenty effect while still leaving more then
ample space for regulating the standard capstan.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.

--------------72E98245774BA8C668BC9C02
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--------------72E98245774BA8C668BC9C02
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmail6L.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 52726 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------72E98245774BA8C668BC9C02--