Tuning w/ETD - Alan Forsyth

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:59:21 -0700

Alan,
There are some clues, in your post, about why you aren't getting good
results with an ETD:
1. "If any of you users of Tunelab....have a tuning file for a 1920's
Gulbransen..." Yikes!
With "files", you are assuming that each of the same make/model of piano is
identical. Wrong!!!! Secondly, you are assuming that the tuner that made the
"file" tunes/listens the same way you do. Wrong! There are a whole lot of
other assumptions, as well.<G>
2. Most fellows/gals that use ETDs "follow the directions" and have the
machine do the calculation of each individual piano. (Or sometimes they just
use "generic"!) Wrong!
ETDs are useful equipment, but they will not THINK. That's were the tuner
comes in.<G> I know, I know....Thinking is like work! (Oops, sorry, didn't
mean to use cuss words here!)<G> For those of you who have read my Tuning
article in the PTJ, 2000, you know my basic philosophy concerning this. For
those who have not, you might give it a read and then re-evaluate how you
approach your use of ETDs. In my opinion ETDs allow us to be more analytical
in the tuning process. This allows us to be more versatile. Just a
thought.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)