What's the Story & Clark? AND ...

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:50:01 -0400

Saw the post about Yamy S&Cs - thanks, I was not aware of that. IMHO, all the REAL S&Cs are low end - right down there with Kimball & Winter & Sons. BUT, IMHO, pianos of this age (1961) are best judged on an individual basis, i.e. condition will likely play a bigger role in the piano's desirability than its original quality. IMHO, a 10-year-old Kimball console in excellent condition is likely going to be a better piano for a beginner than a 1968 Yamaha P-22 (an otherwise premium starter and mid-level piano) that has been the recipient of a daily dose of 14 hours of Racmannanov (SP? - too lazy to look up!) in a university practice room for the past 35 years!

When I do a pre-purchase inspection, I have a brief chat with my client before looking at the piano (usually over the phone when setting up the appointment) and tell them that during the inspection I may make a few comments, but they will generally only address negative aspects of the piano (that way the seller gets prepared for the buyers justification to negotiate a lower price). Then when I am done the buyer and I need to talk in private and I will tell the client all the good and bad about the piano. I am generally willing to give normal value ranges for a piano in private to my client, but any specific price negotiation is strictly between seller and buyer - I stay miles away from any of that!

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan" <tune4u@earthlink.net>
To: "'Pianotech'" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 12:41 AM
Subject: RE: What's the Story & Clark? AND ...

This states it right.

In this case, however, it was mostly the prospective buyer who gushed
poetic about the piano and the deal. I think part of the consulting
service might include just a bit of suggestion in the fine art of
negotiating!

I remember a movie seen where an amateur card player is dealt four
kings, or something; his eyes open wide and he says something like
“ooowowee.” To which one of the other players responds: “Come on, Poker
Face, you in or out?”

Re: Original message. Anybody got any generic thoughts on early 60’s
Story & Clark consoles. Seems to me they were neither very good nor very
bad, just another mass-market piano sold as pretty furniture … something
halfway between Baldwin and Winter & Sons. Your vote?

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO